Here I Go

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Hole in the Water

Speaking of holes in the water.....I mean boats. I used to have one and it was an unreliable thing to do on the weekends. I don't think it was ever out more than 3 times in a row before something went wrong and she would end up back in the shop. It was always so much fun but in the back of my head I always wondered if this voyage was going to be the one where it would break down.

When Andrew told me had a boat I immediately asked how often does it break down? Where are your "important numbers"? Where are the paddles? What do we do if "this" hypothetically happens? He said that he has owned the boat for 7 years and it has never broken down. So imagine my surprise when after the 4th, 7th, 10th, 40th time we went out cruising and it didn't break down. I was beginning to have a new found respect for boats. I have never even seen him give her a lot of TLC; like no maintenance, no tune ups, baths, etc.


So that leads me up to taking the boat out for a spin last Friday. The tide was really low and his neighbor was like, "how the heck are you going to get that out." I was sort of thinking the same thing but Andrew said, "Frank this isn't my first rodeo." So he maneuvered the boat around the really low spot and once we got to the other side of the island we smugly cheered as we drove away.

Well, we didn't get far. A couple of hundred yards down the boat started sputtering. Andrew said, "It feels like we are out of gas. I wonder if someone syphoned it out." Me- Really??? Syphoned it out? How often does that really happen? Andrew said it happens more that I would imagine......yup still skeptical.

So he looks and sees that there is a hole in the fuel line and gas is pouring out. Lovely. Oh and did I mention that he has no sea tow. So the current was really kicking and it was going to be too hard to go back to the dock so we oared our self forward. We made our way to a private dock and Andrew went and asked the guys at the marina for a lift. Luckily he knows everyone and one of his members was actually working and gave us a ride back to the dock. Boy were our heads down as we were being towed back in.....right in front of Frank.

No comments:

Post a Comment