Here I Go

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Feast and Fathom

Well my retirement is nearing an end.  Actually I have a couple more weeks left to bask in the days of freedom.  So that brings me to the very exciting news of......... I have accepted an offer and will start working January 3rd (cue cheering).   I am quite excited to start my career.  This will be my first paycheck in almost 3 years.   The first one is already spent and I am well onto the second one.  It is nice to know that financial freedom is right around the corner.  It feels good to be able to spend, buy gifts, etc without having enormous guilt.

I feel that I am in debt to so many people.  In a good way though.  So many have helped along the way that it is time to start paying it forward.  I am so fortunate in so many ways, it has been nice to give back especially around Christmas.  I wish I could have adopted every old person and fulfilled every kids wish list in Collier/Lee county.  Maybe one year :)   This year I had to settle for just a few. 

So anyway the job sounds sweet.  I am going to be working in general cardiology.  It definitely wasn't what I initially set out to do in life but it was more important for me to work for someone great than in a specific field.  I had lots of areas of interest and I think this will be a good fit.  It is one doctor and his wife runs the show.  Both seem really nice and best of all there is a PA that graduated in the class above me.  She has worked for him for the past  year, has nothing but good things to say and it sounds like it is going to be flexible. We get to work the hours out amongst each other.  The goal is to have coverage all day so one of us will work from 7-3 and the other 3-10.  If you get the work done in your time frame then your done.  I will have to work every other weekend but I can go in at my leisure and once I am done with rounding I will be pretty much done.  Andrew works most weekends so I won't be missing out on too much.  We have privileges at two hospitals.  One is ten minutes from my house and the other is twenty five minutes.  The package sounds great; 4 weeks vacation (woo hoo), cell phone reimbursement, health benefits, etc.  

I still have lots to learn but I am confident that with the doctor and PA's help, I will be ok.  It is still scary as can be.  I have two more weeks to enjoy my care free life.  I have been enjoying every single second of it. Today I had an epiphany and realized that I finally have fully recovered from PA school.  I have entered the productive stage of my "time off". I know it isn't practical not to work and I am sort of not looking forward to starting my career.  Sally is going to come knocking very soon. 


We were going to take one last trip up to NYC after Christmas but we decided today  to hold off.  Instead of spending all of the money to go up there we are going to have a little staycation and finish some projects around the house.  We are crossing off a lot of our to do's- paint laundry room, hang up cabinets in laundry room, new tv and stand for den.  I did go out and buy a new jacket for our trip.  Seeing all of the cute winter jackets almost makes me wish we lived up north......key word.......almost.  

No comments:

Post a Comment