Here I Go

Sunday, September 16, 2012

Windy City

I am writing this on my way home. The weekend flew by! Chicago is a beautiful city, the people are friendly and I can't wait to go back!!

I got in Thursday checked into my hotel and then ran to the conference to check in. Next thing ya know i found myself perusing magnificent mile. I was pretty far from my hotel when it started to rain so I bought an umbrella. I thought this was the windy city not the rainy city. I decided to grab a bite to eat at the hotel but the restaurant was 3 deep. I made my way over to the little lounge had a quick bite to eat and called it a night.

Friday the conference started at 7:30am. My hotel was right down the street form the conference. The lectures were great. For lunch they served a plated meal. I sat down of course with a bunch of people i didn't know.  It was brutal....... not one person talked. It was just that uncomfortable silence. Cardiologists apparently aren't the most friendly people. The lectures resumed in the afternoon and we finished at 5:00pm. There was a reception that evening and after how awkward lunch was I thought about skipping. I had a little pep talk with myself and decided to go to the party even if it was outside of my comfort zone.

I scanned the room for someone to make small talk with and ended up befriending someone from the area. After the reception my plan was to go walk around the city. My new friend joined me and we walked around downtown.

Someone asked me about the time difference in Florida and I laughed. There is no time difference I laughed.  I left Florida at 4pm and got in at 6pm. The time didn't change! Well the time changed I just didn't realize that it changed.  I called Andrew on Saturday and for some reason he mentioned the time. I said that isn't the time......it is only 8am. Well goes to show you how much I pay attention.

Saturday I skipped the lunch and decided to go shopping. Since Andrew wasn't able to come I bought a new wallet that I have had my eye on. I ended up buying it and almost got a bracelet. Once I saw that the sales tax was 9.5% I decided it didn't make sense to shop in Chicago considering we have the same stores in Ft Myers.

The conference went to 5pm again on Saturday and there was an optional bike tour planned. Since I didn't really meet any friends I didn't go on the tour. I decided to walk down to the Navy Pier.





I am not going to lie.......I was really not looking forward to traveling to Chicago by myself. I am happy to say that after the first night I adjusted just fine. I went on a sunset boat cruise and rode the ferris wheel at the pier. I can't even tell you last time I was on a ferris wheel. It was breathtakingly beautiful to see the city all lit up.


 
I don't mind walking around by myself, exploring the city but I am am not a big fan of eating at a restaurant by myself.   My friend from the night before asked if I wanted to grab a bite to eat and I happily obliged.

We ordered Chicago style deep dish pizza and it was just ok. After dinner I packed up all my stuff because I had to leave for airport at 10am. I went to a couple of the am lectures and now I am on a jet plane back to
Fort Myers.

It is tough always trying to push past the limitations that I have put on myself. Like I said I was extremely disappointed to be in Chicago alone. It is hard being in a new environment and trying to be social when no one really reciprocated it. The easy thing would have been to stay in my room, read a book and order room service. Honestly a couple years ago that is exactly what I would have done. I am glad I pushed through my insecurities and explored the city.


No comments:

Post a Comment