When we were in New York a couple of weeks ago I had a moment of insanity but during the event I felt perfectly sane. Let me explain.......
Andrews families house is at the end of a 1/4 mile long driveway on top of a hill. The room that we were staying in was on the second floor. On our last night there around 2 am I heard the alarm system go off. It gives a little chirp through the house when someone opens the door. When I heard the beep I shot up out of my slumber and told Andrew I just heard someone open the door downstairs. He moaned (not the good type) and rolled over. The house is far removed from town and it is the perfect set up for the massacre of a century. I quietly got up, closed the bedroom door and tried to lock it........I figured this would buy me some more time but apparently Andrews family believes in no locks on bedroom doors.
At this point I was on full guard and then I remembered they had a dog and thought that he would protect us from any intruder. Right at that very moment I was certain I heard the dog get shot and started to whimper. My heart was pounding at this point. I picked up the cell phone and keyed in 9-1-1 just in case I needed to access it fast. I heard the intruder(s) rummaging downstairs and make his way to the stairs. My mind took me to an episode that I saw on Oprah where a similar situation happened in a sleepy ole town. I was certain shit was going down. So my side of the bed was closest to the door so I went around to the other side of the bed which happened to be right by an open window. I quickly devised my getaway plan, if the intruder happened to barge through the door I would jump out the window with cell phone in hand, call 911 and save the rest of the family. It was similar to the airline spiel "in case of an emergency, please put your air mask on first before assisting others." I was going to save myself first by jumping and then contact authorities. I sat by the window for a long time listening to every creak and cranny that the old house made and after awhile I didn't hear anything more. I was still not totally convinced that it was all clear so I grabbed a blanket and made a bed on the floor right by the window just in case. In the morning I had to explain why I was sleeping on the floor with a cell phone in hand. I tried to explain what seemed so logical at 2 am to my in laws that I heard the alarm, the dog get shot, an intruder come up the stairs and ultimately me sleeping underneath the window was protecting them.
The best part, the "intruder" happened to be my father in law letting the dog out at to go to the bathroom. The dog getting shot was just a figment of my crazy with a capital C imagination. Guess I really should lay off reading articles about murders happening in sleepy towns.
Wednesday, August 17, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment