Our girlfriend Ashley picked us up in Lexington and we explored the town. Oh by the way I loved Kentucky and would love to move there. It reminded me of Michigan but not as cold. So any who......Saturday morning we woke up bright and early (5:30am) and headed to meet some random guy to pick up our fourth ticket. We made it to the track around 9:30am. I completely went with the flow and had absolutely no responsibility. It was fabulous except I didn't quite realize that the actual race didn't begin until 6:30pm. The weather man called for rain and wouldn't you know it started sprinkling right away. I was rethinking about my moving to KY right about this time. I was freezing and wanted to look cute in my new dress but my goosebumps triumphed and I wore leggings, dress, and jacket. For pictures I would try to push them up and take off jacket. Ha ha ha ha. So it didn't look like the rain was going to pass and I decided to take cover and happened to stumble upon a gift shop. I stood in line for about 45 minutes and finally purchased a fleece and 5 ponchos. Wouldn't you know that as soon as I made it back to my seat the sun was out and it didn't rain the rest of the day!! I never even wore that stinking fleece. Oh well I guess that is what you call insurance. 
I learned a lot about the derby. Did you know that the derby is only for 3 year old male horses? If your older than 3 you can't partake. There was lots of statistics of when the horses won previous races ie: dry, wet track. Apparently they don't make the track wet it is just if they won the race when it was raining. Yes I really asked that question. Kentucky has a lot of state pride. Right before the race they sang their state song. I guess states really have state songs and Kentuckians actually know the words. So I learned the horse race slang and bet on a $2 trifecta exacto box amongst other bets but that was my favorite. I didn't win a penny. Everyone else won at least one race.......nope not me.
So after the Derby we checked into our hotel and had dinner downtown. I decided to be the driver so we didn't have to take a taxi and I didn't really feel like drinking very much. So we had dinner and then Kyle's cousin was there with all of his friends. They just graduated from med school and we partied with them until 4am. My one responsibility of the weekend went quickly out the door after I had some drinks. Kyle met her future husband. Ha ha ha. They were a really
good group of people and by far the craziest group of doctors I have ever met. The bar that we hung out at was a very cool place. A whole array of music from oldies to new stuff.
Sunday we explored downtown Louiville. We went to the slugger museum....... I learned more than I ever wanted to know about the louiville sluggers. Apparently they are not a baseball team but rather a manufacture of baseball bats.
Monday we hung out all day and explored Lexington. It was such a great trip. I love love love my girlfriends. They are such a great group of girls and I am so thankful PA school brought us together. Can't wait for our next trip together!!
Here is a picture prior to the sun coming out!
Just one of the many crazy outfits














No comments:
Post a Comment