Here I Go

Friday, November 30, 2012

Sledding (for a minute)

The title of my post should really be called the day that I almost killed my nephew.  We woke up on Saturday morning and snow covered the ground.  The little kids and myself were all giddy about the first snow fall of the year.  I put on all kinds of borrowed gear and followed the kids outside.  They grabbed some sleds from the garage and we headed to the hill.   I went down first and went flying down the hill.  Hendrick who is 3 wanted to go next.  This 3 year old is a Brut and doesn't take no for an answer.  I didn't even think twice about telling him no.  So on the sled he goes, I pushed him down the hill and gave him a little wave.  Whomp whomp whomp.  He went flying down and cleared the driveway and flew off the second hill and hit a brick wall.  All I heard was screaming.  Did I mention that I was the only adult out there?  I ran down and his older brother got to him first and screamed "he is bleeding."  I couldn't see the brick wall that he hit so I was just picturing the worse. At that exact moment I looked at the hill that I thought was so innocent and saw a pipe, trees and the brick wall. When I finally got to him he was screaming and he had blood coming from his mouth.  He also was yelling that his leg hurt.  So I picked him up and proceeded to carry him up the huge hill.  When we got inside his mom grabbed him and ripped off his boot.  Then she says "oh my G*d, I can't look, I can't look."  She then says, "you're a doctor, look at his leg."  Me- "ummmm  I am just a measly PA and I hated ortho and pediatrics."  I looked at his mouth and leg and everything seemed to check out fine but all I could think about was what about if I was missing something big and he wasn't able to walk again or he had a traumatic brain hemorrhage.  Oh my goodness it could have been so bad.  I am usually a nervous nelly but I didn't even think that something as innocent as sledding could be so dangerous.  It was like a freaking battlefield out there. The good news is he was all right and that my friends was my last sledding experience. 
Right outside of the kitchen window
The innocent "hill"

No comments:

Post a Comment