Here I Go

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

All in a Name

I saw this on pinterst tonight and thought it was quite humorous.


This is a conversation that I have numerous times a day.


"Hi, My name is Marquis."
"What?  Markus?"
 "No Marquis.   You know like the sign."
"Marcy?"
"No Mar-key like the diamond"
"Markisssss?"
"No Marquis like the car......you know the grand Marquis?"
Please note the handicap sticker.
 "Oh.....Marquis"

Usually the grand Marquis clinches it with the old folks.   Then the conversation turns to this......

"Well that is strange."
"What were your parents thinking?"
"Hmmmm......that is interesting."
"Parents really wanted a boy huh?"
"That is a strippers name."
"Were your parents hippies?"
 "What are your siblings names? 



So the next question I get asked is where did you get a name like that?  Depending on the company I am with and if I want to share the real story I usually just say, "oh my parents were hippies (boy was I mad when the guy above stole my punch line.),"  or I say, "I was actually conceived in the back of a grand Marquis."  I love seeing peoples faces when I spout off that fact ever so nonchalantly.


The true story on how I acquired my name goes as follows.  My mother worked with handicapped children and specialists would write books but when they came into the room they would stand in a corner and observe from afar.  This author whose last name happened to be Marquis came in to the classroom and actually interacted with the kids and my mom was inspired by him (yes a he). I could be totally making this up but I think that is the story I have been told all of these years.  Lets just say it is way more fun saying my parents are hippies.

So after years of searching for my  name on magnets, cups, key chains, etc and always leaving empty handed and years of counseling I have finally become "one" with my name.   Actually I am only "one" with my name in certain situations.  For example for any reservation, take out order, etc I go by the alias Sarah.  If I am in a noisy environment, say at a bar, I am Kate.  You know the types of names that are always on magnets or key chains because you know everyone needs a key chain with their name on it!  (I swear I have come to terms with this).   So thank you mom and dad for the crazy name. 

No comments:

Post a Comment