So today I did what I have been dreading for a LONG time. I spent my day off at the most fascinating/scary place on earth..............the Social Security Office. Well maybe the "most" scary place is a little far fetched but it may be a close second. I wonder if the application to work there has for qualities; rude, condescending, slow and must have an overall hatered towards life. I don't know if you have been to any of the government establishments lately but for one they have went all high tech. I went in and looked for the number to grab. NOPE, there was a computer to check in at and once you selected what you were there for it would pop out a number. There was an electronic board that had 6 different number ie: W2, C19, L2, M23, K4, J3. I was C21. I was like sweet.....maybe this won't be so bad. So I stood and waited......and waited......and waited. I was trying to figure out the pattern of the numbers but I couldn't break the code. Honestly, I think they do that on purpose so you don't know how much time you have or when your number is going to be called. So finally my number was called. I sat down and the lady goes, "ok take your stuff and someone will call you in a bit." Me- "come again?" Actually I just got up and went and found a seat and sat down again and waited. I think that whole call your number thing, but we really aren't going to do anything is just to give a sense of false hope. I guess it did sort of break up my time there.
Finally after an hour and ten minutes I was called and officially changed my last name. Well at least according to my social security card. I went to the DMV to change my license. Not only was I changing my name but also my address. Yup I still have my Naples address. Now this is really hard because I just love Naples. Plus there are so many perks by being a Collier county citizen. Like you can go to the zoo free the first Saturday of the month from 9-11 and you get discounts at the water park. Ask me how many times I have been to the zoo? Ummmm 2.....in 8 years but that is not the point. The point is I no longer can go for free one day a month.
So since I had all of this courage flowing through me I thought I should go right away so I wouldn't get cold feet but apparently my name change hadn't made it through the system yet. It will proably take me another month or so to get up enough nerve to go again. I swear I feel like I am having an identiy crisis. I can't believe all of us girls haven't gotten together and taken a stand against this whole name change thing. I held out but I know that it needs to be done. I actually had a "talk" with myself. There are some things you have to do in life and this is one of them. People change their names all of the time and do it without complaining. I hope one day I can become "one" with my new last name. I plan on being married forever and we want to have kids and it would be insane to have the mom have a different name then the kids, so I figured I had to jump on the band wagon. I did it for our future kids!
At least I started the whole process. 1 down, now another 35 things to do before it is officially official.
So as you may or may not know, change and me don't mix very well. For example when I moved down to Florida it about killed me to give up my Michigan license. I mean that was the state I grew up it. I didn't want to give up on it and what if I wanted to go back. Finally after a couple of years I succomed and became an offical Floridian. Actually I did what snowbirds do and got a dual license. So I was able to keep my Michigan license and have a Florida license. Why did I do this? Who knows. It wasn't like I ever thought about going back to Michigan but what if just maybe I needed to prove that I was from there. Yeah I know crazy. So this was all great.....I could either be a Floridian or a Michigander, but there were catches. Like when I went to go apply for a fishing license and was charged out of state price and then I wasn't able to get homestead becuase I didn't live here "permanently." Finally I had to give in and handed over my Michigan idenity. It was a sad day. The crazy thing is I still remember my Michigan license plate number but can't remember my Florida one.
So you see, this is just another piece of evidence supporting my anti change mentality. So it isn't so much that I am not honored to take my sweeties last name it just that I don't like change.
Monday, February 7, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment