Here I Go

Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Closing Chapter

Closing chapters are hard. Change is hard.  Staying in a chapter that should have been closed years ago was stupid.  I finally quit my job (and really left).  Can I get a helleluiah?  I joined Florida Cancer and work in the hospital setting in the hematology/oncology division.  I would have to say the grass is great and as soon as I add some feteralizer it will be amazing Learning a new field is challenging, manageable but challenging. 

I had a lot of people tell me how depressing heme/onc was going to be.  So far I would have to say that is the farthest thing from the truth.  I am so impressed by peoples strengths.   It also helps me realize how unpredictable life is.  Cancer affects old, young, it doesn't know socioeconimal status.  It doesn't matter if you are a good person, homeless person, a mom, or a son. Cancer doesn't care if you just had a baby, a new job, just lost your mom, just bought a house or entered your golden years.  Let me repeat, life is unpredictable and you never know when life is going to turn upside down.   

I love love love all the doctors I work for.  I also love that my patients absoltely adore their doctors. I would have to say they are the most compassionate group of people all the way from the front desk staff, to the nursesto the physicians. It is what medicine is no longer, but what it should be. 

Let me tell you, the monkey is off my back.  It is nice being told that I look so refreshed and less stressed.  I have been sleeping at night and my stress level went from a 10 to 1.  I worked a lot, handled all of the day to day, I had tons of responsibilty and it was never enough.  I loved my patients and it was super hard leaving them and the other PA. But life is not about how hard you work, how many patients you see, how much money you generate or how important you feel.  None of that stuff matters at the end. I am so thankful that at age 34 I have learned that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment