Here I Go

Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Pure Michigan

We went to Michigan the weekend after Jamaica.  I was honestly looking forward to the Michigan trip more than Jamaica.  This was the first time we made it back home in three years.  My sister went a couple of weeks ago and I have had a serious case of home sickness ever since.  We have been wanting to go back but something always came up. I know that I am pretty partial but Michigan is the best state ever.  The people, the air, the leaves, the land, the lake, the pride, it is "Pure Michigan".  Let me tell you there is nothing better.  We ended up flying into Ohio, renting a car and driving  to Michigan.  It was the perfect fall weekend.  The air was crisp, the sun was shining and fall was in the air.  We made our way to South Lyon and had lunch at the root beer stand.  Then we went to Erwin's cider mill and had donuts and fresh apple cider.  After that we made our way to Kensington state park and drove around.  It was the absolute perfect fall day.










Friday night we went out to eat with my parents.  Saturday morning it was the Michigan I remembered and was rainy and cold.  We still pushed through and went to the farmers market and good ole Meijers.  We ended up meeting my mom for lunch and played keno.  The sun started to peak out for a little bit so we made our way to another cider mill and walked around. 








My mom bought my step dad a Rusty Wallace driving experience at the Michigan International Speedway.  We thought it was going to be cancelled due to the rain but they ended up racing.  He had to be there at 9:30am for his training.  We left the house not far behind them and found out we didn't need to be there till 11:30.  We were already on the road so we grabbed some coffee and drove around Ann Arbor. It was a beautiful fall day.  We explored the town and made our way to the track.  My mom ended up calling again saying he was postponed till 1:30.  We saw all these old classic cars turning down a road and ended up following them to  Jerry's Pub on the lake.  It was absolutely beautiful and a great way to kill time. 


Selfie

Finally we got the call that he was about to race.  He got to do eight laps around the track.  He was happy  as a lark






My mom also surprised Andrew with a riding experience.  He put on the jumpsuit and waited.....and waited......and waited. Unfortunately the line ended up being 2+ hours long so he had to forgo his dream and turn the jumpsuit back in.  He looked like he belonged on Talladega Nights.
Ricky Bobby


Where the blacktop ends

There is nothing better than home. This is the first time in ten years that I actually found myself wishing I lived in Michigan.  I am sure it was just the perfect weather and all of the other things I mentioned above that gave me a serious case of being homesick.  It didn't help that when we came back to Florida it was still so hot, the traffic and old people were in full force.  It seems like as each year goes by it gets a little harder to deal with all the seasonal people coming back.   I am sure once the weather breaks here and we get used to the traffic again I will be in love with Florida. I guess the saying is really true that there is no place like home!








No comments:

Post a Comment