Here I Go

Sunday, September 15, 2013

Key West


We went to Key West over Labor day weekend with Kyle and Paul.  We have drove down there (5.5 hours), taken the Key West Express (3.5 hours) and my new personal favorite flying.  The flight was 45 minutes and left from the Fort Myers airport.  It was definitely the preferred mode of traveling.  I was a little apprehensive getting on a 9 person plane but after the beautiful views I forgot all about it.  Before we boarded the plane we all stood in a line and the captain choose seats for us based on weight.    I felt like I was in school and the last person picked for a pick up game. Needless to say I was the last one picked each time and got the back of the plane.


























We rented a 2 bedroom suite right next to the Southernmost Point.  It was a little far of a walking distance from all the action but definitely the way to go. It was nice sharing a hotel but also having our own privacy too.  The hotel we stayed at was awesome and had a great pool and free smoothies!

The kitchen

Andrew and I arrived first and Kyle and Paul got there at 9pm.  We headed down to Duval Street and hung out.  The next day we rented mopeds.  I was very nervous about renting mopeds and visualized myself with a closed head injury.  On Friday night we saw a drunk couple get on moped, peel out of the bar and crash right into a light-pole.  Andrew was actually the first responder and pulled the moped off the drunk old couple who did not feel it was necessary to wear underwear in a mini skirt.  It was quite the sight.  Luckily the EMS was on the corner so they were able to help the couple.  I don't think anything major happened but that was definitely always on my mind.
"Wild Hogs"

We decided to try and go to the dry Tortugas but of course it was all sold out.  They said if we wanted we could sign in at 6:30am on the day of the trip to be put on a waiting list.  There was a 150 people signed up for the trip and we thought for sure that someone would party too hard and not show up.  Unfortunately we  wouldn't know until 8am.  We decided to take our chances and pulled ourselves out of bed at 6am.  Wouldn't you know all 150 people showed up?  Whomp whomp whomp.  We ended up keeping our mopeds and decided to go with plan B.  


The best part about it is we were up super early.  We called a couple boat places and got answering machines.  We were able to get on the 150 person party boat and right before hitting submit a captain called back and said they had a cancellation on their private sailboat.  It held 6 people.  We decided to go that route and it was better that we could have imagined.  The captain let us go swimming and take photos driving the boat with the infamous horse head. 









The best part of having our hotel next to the Southernmost point was we could beat the crowd and visit the point super early in the morning and late at night. 



We had an absolute blast.  It is so nice traveling with people that are easy going.  No drama, no stress and just pure fun.  I can honestly say it was one of the best vacations that we have been on.  Lots of laughs and great memories.  Can't wait to go back!

No comments:

Post a Comment