Here I Go

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

I am beautiful

Who would ever thought that a plastic surgery rotation could provide me so much insight about myself. I have always struggled with self esteem and self image issues. Over time I have grown into my own skin and with my sweeties help he has helped remind me of my attributes. I still have "my days" but for the most part I am finally comfortable being me.

I feel so sorry for these women that come in and have scrutinized themselves so much that all they can see is make believe faults. We had a patient today that was beautiful and all she could say was how ugly she was. She was certain that her nose job, chin implant, neck liposuction, abdominal liposuction and back liposuction was going to make her beautiful. I am sure she said that last time she had liposuction and breast augmentation. Talking to her all I could think of was how sorry I felt for her and she was only 34.

We also had a girl that was getting a nose job because she was certain that is what was going to seal the deal for her to finally get married to her boyfriend. She said that he told her he might propose after he sees the results of her her new nose. If someone didn't love me for the way I was I would say "hit the road Jack and don't you come back no more no more."

So I never in a million years would have thought that a plastic surgery rotation would help me appreciate ME. I love my imperfections, flaws and all. I wouldn't want to change me for anything. I am beautiful; freckles, sun spots, crows feet, you name it. I am looking forward to growing old gracefully and aging like a fine wine. Carrying babies, feeding babies are all going to add to my bodies character and my story. Of course I would like to preserve my youth but not at the cost of lifting my face off my scalp, injecting stuff into my face that makes you look "suprised", covering my face with croton oil to cause a third degree burn or sucking fat off. I just pray that I can transition through the stages of life and continue to be happy with myself, to never become my own worse enemy, to remember what I looked like at 20 and love what I look like at 40. I hope I continue to have a
"realistic" approach on this whole aging thing. Maybe one day I will rethink what I say, I just hope that I never end up like some of these women that are so addicted to becoming "perfect".

No comments:

Post a Comment