Here I Go

Friday, April 23, 2010

Little bit of this Little bit of that

Golly I have been busy and I love every minute of it. I am having such great days. The weather is perfect, my rotations are going great, just seems that the stars are all lined perfectly!

Speaking of rotations......I just finished a pulmonary rotation that I absolutely loved. The office staff was great, the Dr was wonderful and was so receptive to having a student. It was one of my elective rotations and I couldn't have asked for a better experience. I am hoping he is hiring say about the time I am looking for a job :). The thing about lung patients is that most of them aren't the most friendly people. Understandably so...... I am sure I wouldn't be the most pleasant person if I couldn't breathe either. Not to mention 96% of them are former smokers and I think they have some kind of orneriness attributed to that.

Now I am on cardiology and it is way too specialized. Plus I am with a dr that is the mini doogie howser and is basically a walking medical dictionary. I am learning a lot but I have to sift through the tangents he goes on about the pressure of the gradient squared to the pie - the velocity + the contractility = the sum of the difference of the systolic functional pressure. I love when he says yeah you probably won't need to know that. Well I sure hope not! He says he just loves cardiology because it makes perfect sense. Ha ha I don't know about that but I have already learned lots.

I can't believe I am only a couple more months away from graduation. It has gone by so fast. My plan is to finish my rotations, graduate, take a couple of months off and then focus on finding a job. During my couple month hiatus we are getting married and then a honeymoon so before you know it I will be working. I think Andrew may be a little nervous about me taking the time off.

A couple of weeks ago Andrews old ladies threw him a "Man shower". It was such a great time. There was about 65 women there and then they had a couple of their husbands serving us drinks and appetizers. It was such a great party and we are so blessed to be so loved......well they love and Andrew and me by default.



Last week I spent the day with my Dad. It was the first time that we have hung out just the two of us in years. It was long over due and turned out to be such a great day. We went to the church that he is getting married at in the Everglades. From his house it was about 45 minutes. It is in this little cute hick Florida cracker town. It pretty much consists of a church, gas station, motel and a couple of family restaurants. The church sermon was great and the message couldn't have been better. I am pretty sure I was being directly talked to. My other favorite part of the day was when the minister asked if there was anyone to add to the pray list. All the 40 people pretty much had someone that they wanted everyone to pray for. The last prayer request went like this, "Please pray for Ann Miller.....she was in a car accident last week out here on the highway (2 lane road).....she ran over an alligator and it messed up her car pretty bad. While your at you might as well pray for the alligator too......he didn't make it." I about was rolling on the floor. After church we went to a local restaurant and had the best grouper sandwich. Then we went to visit my Gram in the home. She wasn't having the best memory day. It always amazes me what she remembers and what she fumbles on. She for the most part is completely with it but every once in awhile she talks like her mother is still alive.

In the afternoon I took my dad to see an awesome movie. I had to be pretty convincing to get my dad to drive 45 minutes, in the pouring rain to come see a movie in Ft. Myers. He kept asking what the name of it was and I kept diverting the question. Finally I said it is called "how to train your pet dragon." He thought I was nuts but it is really the best movie I possibly have ever seen. So good in fact I have seen it two weekends in a row and I would happily go see it again. Shotzie is now referred to as my "dragon". She doesn't quite grasp the whole thing but I see her out on the porch jumping from one thing to another and I catch myself seeing "dragons" out of the corner of my eye.

I guess that is enough of my randomness.

No comments:

Post a Comment