So yesterday was a very fulfilling day. I went to a nursing home and performed a history and physical on a patient. The first two patients that I "waited" on (I am resorting back to my old life) I mean assisted, were lovely people but not alert and oriented x3. The one little old lady was giving me her life history and when she started talking about how wonderful she thought the president was........President Ford. I quickly realized that all of her information was null and void. So anyway I had a guy that was aware of his surroundings, knew the date and the president. Point of the story is that it is nice to get to actually apply what we learn, on an actual live patient. We usually just practice on each other (20-30 age group) so working on a 80 year old patient you realize that parts have usually shifted due to gravity. I absolutely love old people (also known as geriatrics in the medical field) so I may or may not be leaning towards geriatrics. Mostly I just want to pass Micro!!!
I am also a FAPA member and we have the opportunity to go to monthly dinners that are sponsored by drug reps. It was at Bistro 821 and was about proton pump inhibitors. It was great conversing with PA's that are actually practicing in the community. They all had battle wounds but they made it. Their advice......it gets worse but keep chugging along.....it is so worth it! I also ran into people I used to work with at 6th North. So overall the day was great and I am hoping it inspired me through the next week. It is going to be brutal. My week of luxury was nice but now it is back to the grind.
Friday, November 14, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment