Here I Go

Sunday, October 11, 2009

I am back!

Phew it has been a long time since I updated this. It isn't like me to not have anything to say but lately the day doesn't seem to have enough hours in it. I finished my last rotation with flying colors. I loved it and was even welcomed back to do another rotation with the group and another Dr asked if I wanted to do an elective rotation with him.

My 2nd rotation is comptely opposite of my last rotation. No more cushy hospital days with free food, breaks and welcoming staff. This one is placed in the middle of no where, with no so friendly staff and no chairs. My dogs are a barking after 1o plus hours of standing on my feet. I even ordered some TED hose (ha ha ha). I am 90 miles away from my home and bunking up with 2 of my classmates in a shady condo. Oh it is back to the good ole college days.....complete with a twin bed and sharing a room.

This job has opened my eyes and I have experienced more than I would have ever imagined. Every day I think I possibly could not see anything better than what I just experienced and the next patient tops it. My first patient on my first day was a 148lb 22yo 5ft girl that proclaimed she was too skinny. "I want me some pills to make me gain weight. I want me some thighs and a big booty. Look at me.... I am too skinny." I kept looking and what I saw did not look like a "skinny" girl. She even asked me maaam don't you want to gain weight? So the doctor did what any doctor would do and looked at her BMI saw that it was obese and wrote her a prescription for megestrol (causes weight gain). This is just one of the the many thousand things I disagree with that my dr does.

On an average day we see 50 patients and that doesn't include the rounding that we do at the hospital. Oh I just chuckle when I saw the "hospital". I am not joking when I say I wouldn't take my dog there. This hospital is one of those places that should have been condemned 15 plus years ago. One of our patients had a baby but the baby needed to stay and have a 10 day course of IV antibiotics. Well where would you keep a baby that couldn't go home? Why not at the nurses station? Ha ha ha.....no joke they keep the babies at the nurses station. They just chill in there little cribs while people walk by. Definitely not the most sanitary of places.

In my short week I have helped deliver babies, assisted in c-sections, seen cervical cancer stage 3b, helped remove a labia minora that was SCC, seen every type of STD known to man, assisted on an open hysterectomy, D & C's and seen approximately 400+ vagina's. Before going into this rotation I was semi interested in the world of OBGYN.......after this short stint I tell you I have no interest in this subject.

My dr is an older fella and he hasn't jumped on board with modern technology or standards. You know that whole washing your hand thing....he doesn't do it. The exam rooms don't have soap dispensers or warm water. Another issue I have is his promotion of "baby making". The standard in this town is to have babies young. If you don't have a baby or three by the age 23 then something is wrong with you. It is frustrating to see people that don't want any more kids and can't afford them, just keep populating the world. Especially where there are so many people that truly desire kids and are unable to have them. It just doesn't make much sense. So I would say the average age to have a baby is 18 and the average amount of kids is 5.


It is a "different" population that I have the opportunity to work with. I am seeing all sorts of things that I probably will never have the chance to see again. It has helped remind me all that I truly have been blessed with. I am so thankful for my family and the values that they helped instill in me. It must be difficult to go through the world without much guidance. I am thankful for my parents taking me to the dentist. Most women do not have their teeth; one lady had 4 teeth and she was 29 years old. Yowsers. I am thankful for my education and for all of the opportunities that I have had in life. I am thankful for growing up in a town where if I got sick I was able to receive care that would help make me better.

It is nice to be reminded of all the things I have to be thankful for in life.

1 comment:

  1. I guess you know now why they chose for their students to do a rotation there! YIKES! Getting a whole new perspective on how life can be!!

    Good luck. I would have a very hard time with some of those 'practices' as well. :)

    ReplyDelete